The Nigerian Embassy in Egypt will begin the evacuation of stranded Nigerians in Sudan after days of entry denial at the border of Egypt and Sudan.
According to the Chairman of the Nigerian in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa on Monday, the border has been opened after an intervention by President Muhammadu Buhari.
“The border has just been opened, (with stringent conditions) after President Buhari intervenes with the Egyptian President. So, the processing of evacuees by the Nigerian Embassy in Egypt will begin.”
Meanwhile, the Commission revealed that the Egyptian border was still not opened but the Nigeria Airforce was on standby to evacuate the students.
“The Egyptian border still not opened for our students, but the Nigeria Airforce is ready, the NAF C 130 landed at Aswan Airport, and they say “We will not leave without our students.
Thank you Nigeria Airforce.”
However, a viral video that surfaced online has shown that the Igbo ethnic group was left out of the arrangement of evacuating stranded Nigerians out of Sudan just a few days after Mrs. Abike Dabiri said Nigerians were put on the bus according to their State of origin.
In the video, the man stated that they were told to alight and subsequently abandoned at the University of Sudan with no explanation. He called on Nigerians especially Igbos to help them return home.
So far, the video has not been refuted by the Commission.