Okpebholo Visits Deputy Senate President, Assures Justice Over Uromi Killings

Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo State has met with the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau I. Jibrin, to express his condolences over the tragic killings of travellers in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area of the state. The governor’s visit took place on Monday at the Deputy Senate President’s residence in Abuja.

The horrific incident occurred on Thursday when a mob ambushed a group of travellers en route to Kano State for the Sallah celebrations. The victims, who were hunters from Kano, were violently attacked and killed after their vehicle was ransacked. The attackers left the victims in gruesome conditions, shocking the local and national communities.

Governor Okpebholo conveyed the condolences of the Edo State government to Senator Barau, who is from Kano State, and assured him that his administration would support the families of the victims. The governor also shared updates on the progress of the investigation, confirming the arrest of 14 suspects involved in the killings. These individuals are to be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation.

“It’s a very sad and unfortunate incident that occurred in our state. We are deeply saddened, and I want to assure you that the government is doing everything possible to bring justice to the families of the victims,” the governor said.

“The President is aware of the situation and has taken immediate action. The Inspector General of Police has already deployed resources, and the Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of the Criminal Investigation Department is overseeing the case.”

According to Ismail Mudashir, the
Special Adviser to the Deputy President of the Senate on Media and Publicity on Monday, he further mentioned that a committee had been set up by the state government to provide assistance to the bereaved families, ensuring they receive the necessary support during this difficult time.

Senator Barau expressed his appreciation for the governor’s prompt response and support, emphasizing the need for swift justice. “What has happened is a horrific and barbaric act,” he said. “We cannot undo the damage, but we can ensure that the perpetrators are held accountable. This must serve as a warning to others that such violence will not be tolerated.”

The Deputy President of the Senate also commended the governor’s actions and confirmed that the ongoing investigation would lead to the prosecution of those responsible for the killings. He added that the incident should not tarnish the peaceful relations that have long existed between the people of Edo State and other Nigerians.

“I am confident that under your leadership, such an act will not happen again. Please continue to pursue justice for the victims and ensure that those involved are fully prosecuted,” Senator Barau stated.

Governor Okpebholo assured him that he would continue to work closely with the Kano State governor to ensure justice and support the affected families in every way possible.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.