Abia State Government has directed contractors handling State road projects back to site to complete ongoing projects during the dry season.
This was made known during the media brief of the Abia State Executive Council Meeting held on the 13th of November, 2020 at the Government house in Umuahia.
According to the brief shared by the Commissioner for Information, Abia State, Chief John Okiyi Kalu who stated that the contractors were advised to make use of the five months dry season to complete the projects.
Governor Okezie Ikpeazu also promised to procure 20 Innoson brand patrol vehicles to replace the destroyed vehicles during the hijacked #EndSARS protest and also improve speedy response to cases.
Read the executive brief below;
MEDIA BRIEF ON ABIA STATE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING OF FRIDAY, 13TH NOVEMBER, 2020, HELD AT THE BANQUET HALL OF GOVERNMENT HOUSE, UMUAHIA
Members of Abia State Executive Council (EXCO) met on Friday, 13th November, 2020, under the Chairmanship of the Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu, PhD, and resolved as follows:
1. That contractors handling state road projects immediately return to site to take advantage of the 5 months dry season window to complete as many ongoing projects as possible.
2. That the federal ministry of works and housing be given up to 23rd of November, 2020 to mobilize contractors handling the following road projects back to site or the state government will take over the projects to end the hardship being faced by commuters because of the current state of the roads:
A. Aba-Ikot Ekpene Road, Aba
B. Umuahia-Ikot Ekpene Road, Umuahia
C. Osisioma-Asa Nnentu segment of Enugu-Port Harcourt Highway
D. Bende-Ohafia Road
F. Asa Nnentu-Oyigbo segment of Enugu-Port Harcourt Highway
3. That a new market be developed by the ministry of trade and investment around Imo Bridge along Enugu-Port Harcourt Highway in Ukwa West LGA
4. That 20 new Innoson brand patrol vehicles be procured for security agencies in the state to replace those destroyed during the hijacked EndSARS protest as well as improve the speedy response capacity of the agencies
5. That the following road projects be completed before the 15th of December, 2020:
I. Aba-Owerri Road, Aba
II. Osisioma Flyover, Aba
III. Ururuka Road, Aba
IV. Osusu Road, Aba
V. Milverton Road, Aba
VI. Re-asphalting of Uchenna Bus Stop to Shopprite segment of Aba Road, Umuahia.
VII. Palliative work along Umuahia-Ohafia federal road.
6. Exco directed that no government property destroyed during the local government electioneering process will be restored with government funds and those involved must be identified and prosecuted by security agents.
7. Exco approved the acquisition of 3-hectares of land by the Ministry of land and survey for the development of the new market cluster in Obuaku, Ukwa West LGA.