NASS Confirms Fire Outbreak, Commends Prompt Response

There was a fire incident at a storeroom in the House of Representatives section of the National Assembly Complex in Abuja on Thursday.

It was gathered that the fire was eventually extinguished but the damage had already been done. Viral pictures from the scene showed burnt documents, furniture and other items.

Confirming the incident, the Director of Information at the National Assembly, Mr Rawlings Agada, in statement stated that fire broke out at Room 227 on the 2nd floor in the House of Representatives New Building wing which is suspected it’s from an electrical fault.

It was gathered that it took the prompt response of the men of Fire Service stationed at the National Assembly Complex to avert what would have been a large-scale inferno

“There was a fire incident this evening in one of the Janitors, located on the 2nd floor, Room 227 in the new-wing of the House of Representatives, suspected to have resulted from an electrical fault which was noticed by one of the Staff to the Clerk, House of Representatives, who promptly alerted the Federal Fire Service Unit stationed in the National Assembly Complex.

“Accordingly, the fire have been put out with the assistance of staff on duty who immediately broke into the affected office and effectively deployed stationed fire extinguishers on the floor before the arrival of the fire service officer.

“It is expected that after due assessment by the fire service and the Estate and Works Directorates, normalcy in the New-Wing, housing all principal officers of the House of Representatives and Honourable members offices, will be restored immediately.

“Management wish to commend the prompt response/actions by the first responders particularly, National Assembly staff and the Fire Service Unit in helping to curtain the fire outbreak,” Agada stated.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.